"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" - Walt Emerson

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Transitioning into things..


Hey to all! Well I finally have a decent amount of time now to sit down and fill you in on whats been happening in my first week back in Lesotho. We arrived safetly to Maseru last friday, the 25th of January and I have to say I'm about done with flying for a while! I got really sick of being cramped in a small plane seat for 8-10 hours at a time not being able to get a decent sleep. We did have a short layover in London though where we were able to get out for a while and see a few sights of London which was really nice! We spent the first couple days here at Wilma and Sylvia's to settle in to the culture a bit first and spend some time with them. Also went to Melvin and Kari's for supper on saturday night which i quite enjoyed:) Last sunday after church we spend a full day at the Maseru Pool with Wilma and Sylvia and a few of their friends. It was fun - but even though we layered on sunscreen, Annie and I both got a pretty nasty burn. The sun is so intense here at this time of the year! We've spend pretty much this whole week at the orphanage already from about 7:30 - 3:00ish. We have to get up at 5:30am though because we have to walk part of the way and also catch a taxi further into town. Taxi rides are pretty interesting though.. they cram at least 20-25 people in a taxi van and it gets extremely hot and stuffy inside! Oh well, its only 3 rand a trip - being $0.40-0.50. Not bad hey? Seeing the orphanage again after two years was interesting and it was exciting to see all of the changes that had taken place in that time being. The preschool is beautiful now, it makes me happy that they have gotten their own space where the younger children can learn and are not just roaming around wherever. Although I have seen some good changes, i can definitely see there is much more that can still be improved. Previously discussed before i arrived I was supposed to be working in the office with wilma, but now things tend to be somewhat unorganized so I am working in the preschool for now helping out with the children. I'm pretty much a "do whatever" person when they need someone for this or that. Things are likely to change though as changes take place within the Centre. I can't believe there is all of 100 children there already! My jetleg is starting to wear off now and I am feeling better than I did when I first arrived. I was feeling completely drained and weak, it was wierd. Although i have only been here a little over a week, I am already missing home, family and friends. It's more difficult being countries away when you cant just jump in your car and go see people when you want to. So as of right now I am still tansitioning into everything and our new routine. Within time I know things will get better and I will be more comfortable where I am. But I know I have the Lord by my side and He keeps me going - with Him I can accomplish anything! Thanks so much for all your prayers, they are a blessing to me!

2 comments:

Andrea {kerubo mama} said...

wow michelle...i'm so glad you arrived safely, and that you're getting back into the swing of things...hope to be able to join you on the African continent soon :) lotsa love
Andrea

Michelle said...

Thanks Andrea:) When are you gonna make it out here? Hope everything goes through for you soon! Blessings,
Michelle