"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" - Walt Emerson

Thursday, February 7, 2008

2nd week in Africa






It's thursday night here now and and another week is almost done. We've been pretty well into a steadier routine now and I've been feeling much more settled in this week. Getting up at 5:45am, at MIS orphanage by 7:30am, and gone by 3:30pm. Annie works in the baby room all day helping the ladies who work there. I help for the first hour or so with getting the babies/preschoolers ready to go for the day. The preschoolers sleep in the same room as the babies.. hopefully they can find away to change that up in the future so these kids don't have to sleep on the floor. It would always make it much more convenient to have the babies/preschoolers seperate. Anyways I help out in the preschool all day for now which I have settled more into alot now.

To be honest, I was a little discouraged at first when things didn't go as planned and I was working in the preschool again. I am not really supposed to teach as thats what the others are being paid for, I am just supposed to help out. I was almost feeling as though i wasn't really making a difference because I wasn't doing a lot (or in my terms i didnt think i was). Anyways, I was actually pretty down about and questioned often throughout the days "God why am I here if I am not making a difference?" A few days ago, I think God gave me a slight tap on the shoulder through a new friend who also works at the orphanage. She just made me see that sometimes what you do doesn't have to be big.. she reminded me that I am building relationships with these children, and that is a very important thing. It was a good little uplift and reminder. I am feeling much happier now that I am reminded that what I do for the Lord doesn't have to be "saving the world", it is as simple as making a difference in one child's life by just being a friend. I know that God wouldn't just send me here for nothing, he has purpose behind everything. As long as I allow Him, He will use me:)

I really do appreciate all your prayers, I can feel the support behind me! I'll update you again soon, Lots of Love!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Hey Michelle, Thats really true about what you said, how the little things we do makes a difference as well. You are really selfless, to go work for God, and you should just have fun and love all the children, because God loves them through volunteers like you. Have fun and God bless!