"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" - Walt Emerson

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Another Post






Hello again to everyone back home. Wow, its starting to feel like the time is going by much quicker now that we are into a routine. We had rainy/cooler weather for a few days, but as of yesterday we are back to the hot 30's!

Yesterday was a fun and interesting day. I've been doing a lot of sorting through clothing donations this past week, and yesterday Annie and I had a little bit of fun with some of the "odd, not so good-looking" clothes! We couldn't resist but to but them on:) I'll put a few pics up for you. Walking home we met a few high school girls that we ended up walking quite a ways with. They spoke english really well and it was enjoyable chatting with them. We might get together with them sometime, I think it's good to get involved with some of the community here.

Another short story for the day - while we were walking downtown through the crowded streets to the taxi stop, some guy approached me and was trying to sell me this wierd sheet/blanket. He was holding it out in his hands and following me around persisting that I buy it. I kept telling him I didn't need it and he wouldnt leave me alone. At one point when he was talking to me trying to sell this thing, he slyly slipped his fingers into my pocket (he was holding the sheet near my waist and his hands were underneath so I couldn't see) to try and steal money. As soon as I felt it, I moved and looked right at him and said "DON'T!" He completely backed off as if he was never talking to me in the first place. In Lesotho, being a theif is probably the worst thing you can be.. unless you don't get caught. So as soon as he realized I knew what he was doing, he acted as if he never talked to me. Interesting hey? I think it's funny because alot of these guys don't expect young white women to confront them like that. I don't know, I guess it just doesn't scare me at all - maybe its just God walking beside me:)

We had the Peters family over for supper last night which was enjoyable, except for the fact that I got sick half way through the evening. I think I caught a small flu bug. But I feel better today already - still not 100%, but better! At least it was just a short little bug.

We got to relax in the sun at the pool this afternoon with friends so that was nice after a busy week at the orphanage. Anyways, until next time!

P.S. Here are a couple prayer items:
-pray that adoptions in Lesotho will open again, there are people waiting to adopt and it seems as though the numbers in orphanages are growing
-pray for our health as we are daily surrounded by minor diseases/bugs
-pray for one of the babies Boitumelo (Petrie). Her mother was raped and hated the baby, and thats why she is at MIS. Mavis is bringing the mother to the orphanage so she can see her little girl and hopefully connect with her and learn to love her. This would be a tremendous blessing as this little girl deserves to be with her mother.
-pray for continuing strength for both Annie and I as we are far from home & family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures of this blog Michelle. You are an inspiration and I am SOO proud of you!
Miss you lots and lots.
~Savanna